Paros Churches

 
Home Site map
 
 

Paros churches, Greece: The most famous churches of Paros island

    There is a wealth of paros churches on the island. The most famous is the Panagia Ekatontapiliani.

The Church of Panagia Ekatontapiliani
The church of Panagia Ekatonpiliani(Our Lady of the Hundreds Gates) or Katapoliani is considered as the most important Byzantine Monument of Greece. It is one of the oldest churches of the island.


The Church of Panagia Ekatonpiliani

This church is located in Parikia, the capital of Paros, near the port.

It is considered as miraculous and thousands of Pilgrims visit the church every year on the 15th of August, the day of its celebration.
Other churches in Parikia

Parikia Churches

The town is plenty of little post-Byzantine churches, all equally beautiful.

The most important churches are:

- St. Konstantinos, located in the area of the castle, considered as one of the most beautiful of the island.

- Holy Mary Septemvriani, which houses a bust of the Virgin Mary that dates back to 1592.

-Holy Mary of Stavros, St. Ekaterini, St. Onoufrios, St. Markos; St. Nicolas…
Churches in Naoussa
- The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin is located on the highest point of the village, which adds to its already great majesty. It was founded at the end of the 19th century.

- St.Athanasios, founded in the 17th century, St. Ioannis Theologos, the church of St.Giorgos, St. Nicolas, which houses a Byzantine Museum with icons of the 13th century…

Naoussa churches

St.Ioannis Detis
St. Ioannis Detis is a little church built in the rocks. It was raised in the 17th century and it is located in the huge bay of Naoussa, on the opposite side of the village, in the area called Monastiri .
 



 
The Church of Panagia Ekatonpiliani

It is said that the church was build by St.Helene, the mother of the first Christian Emperor Constantine the Great, when her boat docked in Paros during her travels to the Holy Land of Palestine to find the Holy Cross.
The church was built on the place of a cross shaped wooden basilica which had been destroyed and then rebuilt with vaults and domes. The building hasn’t kept the same architectural style until our days. The church has suffered many damages all over the centuries. The worst damage was provoked by an earthquake in1733 during which the northern and western vaults were destroyed. The consolidation that was made has completely distorted its architectural shape.
Today, one can admire in the church a cross-shaped baptistery, some beautiful sculptural decorations, post Byzantine icons, marbles carved iconostases…

Link to the ministry of culture

Moni Christou tou Dassous

The Moni Christou tou Dassous (Christ of the Woods) is located a few kilometres away from the town of Parikia.

It is situated on a hill and its location offers a great view over the island of Antiparos. The Convent was built in the 18th century and only women are allowed into the sanctuary.

The Monastery of Longovarda
The Monastery of Logovarda is situated 6 kilometres away from Parikia. It was founded in 1638 and is dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi. It is the largest monastery and it is famous for its architecture.

In the Monastery, one can admire the amazing icons and frescoes. The Monastery also houses a library with rare manuscripts and a workshop for book making. The Monastery of Longovarda is only opened to men.

Agios ioannis in the famous area of Monastiri

Nowadays, the area has a beautiful beach that gets very crowded.

The Church of Agia Triada
The Church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) is the main church of the beautiful mountainous village of Lefkes.

Agia Triada of Paros

This Church was built in 1830, and is a beautiful and impressive building made of parian marble.


Other Churches

Paros Island has hundreds of others churches. Most of them are located in the inhabited areas like Alyki, Drios, Prodromos…
 
   


 
u HISTORY
The island has been inhabited since 3200 B.C. and many object of that time have been found in
Saliagos... more  
     
u FESTIVALS
Paros composes of many religious feasts. Some are listed below dependent.
  more
u ARCHITECTURE
The Cycladic villages have adopted, for most of them, a similar architecture: white cubic houses built the one upon the other with wooden coloured windows, doors and balconies in narrow streets next to windmills and Byzantine churches
  more

u ANTIPAROS
Literally “opposite Paros”, the island of Antiparos is located 4 nautical miles from the main port of Paros and only 1 mile from the beach of Pounda.
  more
 

 
 

 

 
     
  about us | travel links Go to the top of the page
 
 
Creation and copyright: www.greeka.com
© Photography :